Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Five months old...

*you should be able to click on this picture to enlarge it...
These comparison pictures are getting harder and harder to take. Claire is much more mobile now, and likes her little yellow bunny, so she no longer just leaves it alone and looks up at me. 

This past month flew by. We've had people visiting, we've been out of town, we've had parties and weddings to plan and attend, and in the middle of it all our baby is now a month older. She is now a pro at rolling over - both directions (happened at the 20 week mark). She is also very adept at finding her binky and getting it in her mouth. With the rolling over phase came a happier attitude toward tummy time. She will play on her tummy and has even started creeping along the floor to reach toys. (Today was the first time I found her on her tummy in the crib.) Her head is still heavy, so the creeping is just that - pulling her knees into her chest and then kicking or pushing with her feet to propel herself forward. She also loves sitting up - I think the view is better - but she isn't quite stable enough to do so on her own. 

Her personality continues to develop too. She is a sweet girl, loves people, loves faces and doesn't like being left alone. If you set her down and she sees you walk away she will usually cry. If you give her plenty to do when you set her down, she will be pleased as punch.

She recently dropped her late feeding and now only eats four times a day... usually 8, 4, 12 and 8. Her sleep isn't as predictable, but I'm happy to be flexible with that since her eating schedule is what really frees me up. In fact twice this week I was able to feed her at 8 and then go out with friends. Even though she happily takes a bottle from anyone, it helps me not have to plan ahead to leave a bottle for her. Typically she takes two 2-hour naps each day and then sleeps 10-12 hours at night. She is a very light sleeper (compared to her sister) so the littlest noises will wake her up instantly. I am thankful that she is thus far good at self-soothing and falls back to sleep easily. Another funny Claire-quirk is that ever since she stopped liking her swaddle (right around 4 months old), we've had to dress her in "arctic baby wear" for night time. I really need to take a picture because it is comical to see her bundled like we live in the tundra. 

Sorry if my thoughts seem a bit disjointed. I've had multiple interruptions while typing this update. Hopefully I'm not forgetting anything.


2 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh my. That picture shows her precious little face really well!
MP

Bethany said...

What a great picture! You're so sweet little Claire!